Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Take A Day Off With A Good Book



It rained during the night with thunder and lightning disturbing the sleep of many. This morning, the rain gauge was filled to the 2 1/2 inch mark. Now, it is gloomy and damp outside. Lights are needed in the house. It seems like the perfect day to curl up with a book.

But wait! I have a lengthy mental list of what I need to do today. What will happen if I take the day off and savor the pages of the book I've only just begun to read last week?

Two things will occur. First, the To-Do List is still going to be there tomorrow. Second, I'm going to thoroughly enjoy my day of reading.

Is that going to actually happen? I'm afraid not because there are some important items on that To-Do List. A few cannot be pushed off til tomorrow or next week. But I am going to take an hour or two and read. And why?

Because it's good for my mental and emotional health. It's also one of my greatest pleasures in life and I firmly believe we need to nourish those pleasures now and then.

Why do we want to spend a day with a book? Reading a good book is entertainment. It's an escape from everyday cares and woes. It's helpful to those of us who write to read as many books as we can to learn from other writers. It's a way to gain information. It's fun.

So, if you take a day off to read a book, don't feel guilty. It's a choice you make and it's perfectly alright to push a few other things off til tomorrow. Use Scarlett O'Hara's famous phrase "I'll think about that tomorrow." Most of the time, it will work.

If today is a good day for you to read a book, do it with sheer joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...