Thursday, April 9, 2015

Are You Up For A Challenge?



                                                   


I saw this quote the other day while waiting in the x-ray area of my doctor's office. There were several others on the wall behind the receptionist's desk, but this one kept popping out for me. The more I read it, the more it made sense.

As writers, we can get complacent about our work. If we have a little success here and there, maybe we've satisfied. We've chosen our seat at the concert and like it well enough to reserve it for the season. Why move? I like it right here.

Change for the better is a good thing. It might only add to whatever else we've done. But to make some changes, we need those challenges. We need to try working on a project that's harder than ones we've done before.

Putting a challenge in front of ourselves may be good but it can also be pretty tough. Strive for something more than you've done in the past and, if you achieve the change, it will be ever so satisfying. To say nothing of the fact that it can put you ahead in your writing journey.

My friend, Grant Overstake, author of Maggie Vaults Over the Moon, had a post on facebook last night that fits right in with my topic today. He spent part of yesterday as a Teaching Artist at a magnet school, where he visited third grade classes. These kids are writing, illustrating, and publishing their own novels! I think Grant had as much fun as the kids did.

Think of the challenge the teachers of those third grade classes put before their students. Sounds to me like they rose to it quite well and I have no doubt that it will change each one of them in many ways.

I challenge you to challenge your own writing world and see what changes come from doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...