Thursday, April 3, 2014

Want To Write? Try This



I liked this quote by Theodore Roosevelt. Wise man. April is National Poetry Month so why not believe you can write a poem? As Teddy told us, if you believe you can, you're on your way. Who doesn't know the story of The Little Engine That Could ? Most of us have read it aloud to children or grandchildren. It's the children's version of the poster above.

Believe you can write a short story, a novel, a chap book, or an essay. Yes, even a poem. Believe it and I'm willing to bet that you'll do it. Does it mean it's going to be worthy of a Pulitzer? Not by a long shot. Those first efforts are rarely masterpieces. The big deal about it is that you wrote it.

If you write one essay, poem or story, chances are you'll write others. Of course, the more you write, the better writer you'll become with a few stipulations. Don't build a defensive wall around your writing world. Invite the people who are knowledgeable about writing to come in. Ask for critiques and accept them with grace. If it is returned to you with editing remarks everywhere, just like some of those high school English essays, don't be offended. Rejoice! Well, maybe not quite that but do be appreciative of this great opportunity to learn.

If you don't feel ready for a full crit group, look for one person to be a Writing Buddy. That's the way I started and, to this day, I am filled with gratitude for the many things I learned from my writer friend, Barb.

Other eyes see our work objectively. Other writers will see problems, and also the great parts, much more easily than we do ourselves. I've heard it over and over again in my critique group. Why didn't I see that? is the common response after a crit.

Have you always had a desire to write but are afraid of trying because you think you'll never be able to get published? Do whatever it takes to believe in yourself. It's the best way to get started in the writing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...