Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Don't Jump To Conclusions Too Quickly


Yesterday, I wrote about my concern that my second cataract surgery had not seemed as good as the first one. Imagine my surprise when I went in for the recheck and learned that the progress on the second eye was completely normal, and what happened with the first one might be considered Perfection! Needless to say, relief washed over me upon hearing that. Even this morning, I see improvement over yesterday and vast difference from the first day. I had jumped to conclusions too quickly.

Maybe we do that in our writing world, too. When no word comes from an editor, we fret and fume. Rejected again! That's what we immediately think. There may be a good reason we haven't heard from the editor. They're people who have traumas in their lives, who go on vacations, and get sick. When they are dealing with any of those, regular work is put on hold. What's a writer to do? Be patient. Easier said than done, isn't it?

We might jump to conclusions too quickly before we write a story. Emotion takes over and we want to get words in print in a hurry. Possibly before we have all the facts or necessary info to write a complete story. Wouldn't it be awful to have to write a retraction later? What's a writer to do? Be patient. Wait till you have a complete file of information before you write the story.

Another time we jump to conclusions is when we finish a story, read it over again and decide it's pure rubbish. We want to hit the delete button and let it float off into cyberspace. What a piece of junk! you tell yourself. But wait--maybe the story isn't as bad as you think. Maybe you can salvage it. What's a writer to do? Patience is part of it but you can also send it to a critique group for suggestions on how to resurrect the story. Or you could put it in a file and leave it there for a week or two, then look at it again. You may see it in a different light and know what parts to save and which ones to chuck. 

The main thing is to take your time in all these situations, don't panic too quickly. Find out the facts, then tackle the situation bit by bit. It will keep your blood pressure down to normal.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I do this more than I care to admit, especially in my writing. The more time I give myself to digest a piece, the more I will usually find appreciation for it.

    ReplyDelete

Writers Who Do, Not Just Think

There's an ocean of difference between people who think about writing and those who actually do it. Myriad numbers of people have a desi...