Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Editors Need Consoling Sometimes, Too


I received a rejection yesterday, but it wasn't the usual kind. I ended up wanting to console the editor who sent it instead of feeling sorry for myself. 

Several weeks ago, I sent an essay for Mother's Day to the editor of a monthly senior newspaper that has published many of my stories and essays in the past. I hadn't heard from her regarding the submission which was a bit unusual as she generally responds fairly soon. 

Yesterday, an e-mail arrived addressed to me and three other writers. The editor wrote that they had planned to publish the submissions from all four writers for the Mother's Day edition. She said they had to pull all of them because of the small size of the May issue. Which translates to the fact that not enough advertising was sold to justify a larger edition. 

She went on to say that she was truly sorry because the four pieces would have been a wonderful addition to the paper. She is putting them in the May 2013 folder in hopes that times will be more prosperous then. 

By the time I reached the end of her message, I felt so bad for her that I wanted to give her a hug and tell her things were sure to get better. I ended up replying and telling her that I understood her situation and appreciated her honesty in letting me know the reason the piece is not being published. And maybe next May my story will be published in her newspaper.

Sometimes  editors need consoling just as much as writers do when they receive a rejection. Most editors don't enjoy sending rejections. It's one of the necessary evils of their job. These past few recession years have been particularly hard on small publications that depend on advertising income to stay alive. 

Maybe we need a National Be Nice To An Editor Day. Until that happens, pick one yourself and do something kind and thoughtful. Awww, go ahead and try it. You'll feel good and so will the editor.

1 comment:

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...