Friday, September 10, 2010

Rainy Days

We had a rainy day here yesterday, and this morning we woke to face yet another gloomy day with rain and possible t-storms in the forecast. Lots of people think rainy days are great for curling up with a book to read.
I like to do that sometimes, too, but being a writer, I find that rainy days are wonderful times to write.

I have no need or desire to be outdoors doing other things, and housework is very easy to set aside. Somehow, the dust on the tables will always be available for me to swipe away. If I don't do it today, there's always tomorrow. (Actually, I did it two days ago!)

I can hole up in our home office and spend my time composing a new essay, story or poem. My back is to the window, so I don't have to look outside at the gloom. In fact, while writing, I forget all about it and much of everything else in my life. Writing is one of the best escape mechanisms I have. Some people close their eyes and nap to escape the everyday stresses, but if nothing else, my escape also proves productive.

Today, I'm going to work on an essay that has been swirling in my mind ever since we were in France over a month ago. We had a moving experience there at an American military cemetery and I've wanted to write about it ever since. But I've been mulling over different ways to approach it, and I finally feel ready to begin. That doesn't mean it's going to stay the way it starts, but at least it will be a beginning.

Yes, a rainy day is perfect for beginning a new essay.

4 comments:

  1. I was hoping for a rainy day today so I could curl up with a good book without feeling guilty. No such luck. We have had a beautiful day with a cool breeze and sunshine. I worked in the yard instead. There will be plenty of time to stay in when winter hits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back from a trip to Dallas, trying to catch up with work and home projects, so I'm behind in my blog reading. I think I'm finally caught up with yours. I enjoyed reading about your trip, your holiday with family, and all the great writing tips. Those are especially appreciated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, winter is a good time to curl up with a book and also for writing. But maybe you'll find a rainy day, too, BJ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see what you come up with, Nancy. I look forward to being "emotionalized." How's that for a new invented word?
    ~ Maria

    ReplyDelete

No Fee, No Pay! Hmmm!

  H U H? I was skimming through a lengthy list of journals whose closing dates were looming. Many were published at universities, some were ...